Sunday, May 30, 2010

Fatal Secrets


PHINNEY, BARBARA
FATAL SECRETS

"For my baby's safety, I must give her up..."

An old letter is all Kristin Perry has of her birth mother. When the Witness Protection Program couldn't keep mother or daughter safe, the woman fled 'underground'. With the help of private investigator Zane Black, Kristin tries to track her down. Instead though, she finds herself the target of a series of deadly 'accidents'. Zane's still searching for her missing mother -- but now Kristin's starting to wonder if her family reunion will be the death of them all...

THIS IS THE FIFTH IN THE PROTECTING THE WITNESSES SERIES. KRISTIN APPEARS IN THE PREVIOUS BOOK, AS DOES JACKSON MCGRAW. THIS BOOK SETS UP THE THE GRAND FINALE WHICH TAKES PLACE IN BOOK 6 -- RISKY REUNION. I'M QUITE INTRIGUED WITH THE NOTION OF SIX WRITERS COLLABORATING ON A SERIES. OVERLAPPING CHARACTERS HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT -- OVERALL PLOTS CARRY OVER BUT BUILD WITH EACH SUBSEQUENT BOOK -- AND YET EACH STORY HAS TO STAND ALONE WITH ITS OWN SUSPENSE/ROMANCE COMBINATION. I FELT THAT THE SUSPENSE OVERSHADOWED THE ROMANCE IN FATAL SECRETS, BUT IT WAS STILL A GOOD READ.

2 comments:

  1. I have been really enjoying this series. It's my first continuity series, so it was something different.

    For me, it almost seems like some of the mentions/connections to the past books is pushed too much. Do you know what I mean? Like sometimes you're reading, reading, reading and then all of a sudden it feels like they realized "I need to make X amount of references to the past characters. Guess I better enter one here." Maybe it's just me, but they seem pushed, not exactly sure where to put them all of the time.

    However, that is not to say that I'm not COMPLETELY enjoying them! Lol! Becuase....well, I am *wink*

    Thanks for doing these reviews,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah -- very interesting observation -- and I think you might be right. Plus, part of this book was dedicated to setting up the final book, which I'm reading now. And I did get the feeling that some of the romance word count in 'Fatal Secrets' got swallowed up in that. Have to say it really does all come together beautifully though.

    ReplyDelete