Monday, August 9, 2010

Candle in the Darkness


AUSTIN, LYNN
CANDLE IN THE DARKNESS

Book 1 in the Refiner’s Fire series. The daughter of a wealthy slave-holding family from Richmond, Virginia, Caroline Fletcher is raised in a culture that believes slavery is God-ordained and biblically acceptable. But upon awakening to the cruelty and injustice it encompasses, Caroline’s eyes are opened for the first time to the men and women who have cared tirelessly for her. Her journey of maturity and faith will draw her into the abolitionist movement, where she is confronted with the risks and sacrifices her beliefs entail.

THIS IS AN EPIC NOVEL THAT GRIPPED ME FROM THE VERY FIRST PAGE. CANDLE IN THE DARKNESS COVERS ABOUT A TEN YEAR SPAN IN THE LIFE OF CAROLINE FLETCHER. PART ONE IS WRITTEN IN FIRST PERSON -- RECOUNTING HER LIFE FROM THE TIME SHE WAS TWELVE IN HER OWN WORDS. COMPELLED BY THE NEED FOR THOSE SHE LOVES TO UNDERSTAND HER RADICAL ACTIONS, SHE TAKES PEN IN HAND AND RECORDS HER MEMOIRS. PART TWO IS IN THIRD PERSON AND PICKS UP WHERE HER FIRST PERSON ACCOUNT ENDS.

THIS IS A STUNNING AND HEARTBREAKING PORTRAYAL OF SLAVERY, THE EVENTS THAT LED UP TO THE CIVIL WAR AND THE WAR ITSELF -- ALL FROM CAROLINE'S VIEWPOINT. IT IS A VERY COMPELLING READ AND THERE WERE TIMES WHEN I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN AND TIMES WHEN I WANTED TO THROW IT ACROSS THE ROOM (BUT, OF COURSE I WOULD NEVER DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT TO A BOOK, NO MATTER HOW INFURIATING!) I'D REACH A POINT WHERE I JUST HAD TO TAKE A BREAK SO THAT I COULD CONJURE UP A HAPPILY EVER AFTER RIGHT THERE ON PAGE 200 OR 300 OR WHATEVER POINT I WAS AT BECAUSE I JUST COULDN'T BEAR IT ANY LONGER. ONCE I'D CALMED DOWN ENOUGH I WOULD RESUME READING, SOMETIMES WITH DREAD, SOMETIMES WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES WITH HOPE BUT ALWAYS EAGERLY.

AUSTIN HAS DONE A MAGNIFICENT JOB OF CONVEYING GOD'S TRUTH IN THE MIDST OF SUCH TURMOIL. SHE PRESENTED BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH VIEWPOINTS -- INCLUDING THEIR IDEALS AND THE FLAWS IN THEIR THINKING AND THERE'S LOTS OF HISTORICAL DETAIL THOUGH IT DOESN'T WEIGH DOWN THE STORY. AS A CANADIAN WITH JUST A SKETCHY IDEA OF THE EVENTS THAT LED TO THE CIVIL WAR, I NOW HAVE A GREATER UNDERSTANDING OF THAT DIFFICULT TIME PERIOD. SOME OF THE DEBATES BETWEEN CHARACTERS MADE ME WANT TO SCREAM IN OUTRAGE, OTHERS CHEER WITH JOY! I WAS DEFINITELY AN ENGAGED READER FROM START TO FINISH.

AUSTIN'S PORTRAYAL OF THE UGLINESS OF WAR IS GRITTY AND HONEST. THE HOSPITAL SCENES ARE HORRIFYING. THE ARROGANCE OF SLAVE OWNERS REPREHENSIBLE. AND YET SHE ALSO SHOWS GOD'S HAND IN THE MIDST OF CHAOS AND THE UNDERLYING MESSAGE OF INDIVIDUAL WORTH IS HEARTENING.

A STELLAR CAST OF SECONDARY CHARACTERS ENRICH CAROLINE'S STORY AND CREATE LAYERS AND DEPTHS THAT MAKE THIS AN EPIC DESTINED TO BE A CLASSIC.

4 comments:

  1. I read this book years ago and loved every page

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy,

    Yes, it was published in 2002 and I'm thrilled to see that it's the first of a trilogy. I've only been reading inspirational fiction for about a year now so there's tons of books I need to catch up on. Sigh! So much to read, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean.....my daughter who just turned 16 recently fell in love with reading, so all my old books have come from the garage and are now stacked up in her room to read....she loves the Lori Copeland books, as do I, and I love Lynn Austin, read Eve's Daughters if you have'nt already, its a really good book....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Betsy, Eve's Daughters sounds intriguing. Thanks for the tip. I've put it on hold at my library. Thank goodness for libraries!!!! I love buying new books and supporting authors but I can't buy everything I read (I'd never have room in my little house for all those books) so I love my public library. It's a great place to get the older inspirational fiction that I haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete