Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Edge of Recall


HEITZMANN, KRISTEN
THE EDGE OF RECALL

Tessa Young is a landscape architect who specializes in the design and creation of labyrinths. For years she has immersed herself in the healing aspects of these elaborate structures, searching for God and hoping to make sense of the nightmares that have plagued her since childhood.

When Smith Chandler, a colleague who once betrayed her, offers an opportunity to reconstruct a remarkable Colonial-era labyrinth, she can't resist this project of a lifetime. But one evening, as dusk falls, an assailant ambushes Tessa and Smith and the real nightmares begins.

OH.....
MY....
GOSH....

THIS WAS SO GOOD I'M SPEECHLESS.

IT WAS SUPERLATIVE. EXCEPTIONAL. INCREDIBLE. ENTHRALLING...OKAY, I JUST FOUND MY VOICE.

HEITZMANN HITS HARD WITH THE SUSPENSE IN THE FIRST CHAPTER -- WHICH ACTUALLY TAKES PLACE ABOUT TWO THIRDS THE WAY THROUGH THE BOOK. TALK ABOUT AN INTRIGUING START THAT PACKS A PUNCH! CHAPTER TWO BEGINS WITH FIVE WEEKS BEFORE...AND WE TAKE OFF RUNNING. I WAS HOOKED FROM PAGE ONE, SO FULL OF QUESTIONS AND RABID FOR THE ANSWERS. THIS ONE HAS A REAL PAGE TURNING, SUSPENSEFUL PLOT COMPLETE WITH UNEXPECTED TWISTS THAT GO ON RIGHT TO THE VERY LAST PAGE. IT'S A MASTERPIECE.

AND THE ROMANCE. OH....MY....GOODNESS...SPEECHLESS AGAIN. TOE-CURLING, SPINE-TINGLING, HYPERVENTALING...THUD!

TO TOP IT OFF, HEITZMANN HAS CREATED VERY COMPLICATED, GRITTY, REAL PEOPLE IN BOTH HER HERO AND HEROINE. TESSA AND SMITH JUST SEEM DOOMED FROM THE START -- LIKE THE ENTIRE COSMOS IS AGAINST THEM. THE INTRICACIES OF THEIR RELATIONSHIP, THE WAY IT DEVELOPS, THE STEPS FORWARD AND SLIDES BACK PULLED THE EMOTION RIGHT OUT OF ME. ASTOUNDING!

THEN THERE'S TESSA'S SEARCH FOR THE PEACE THAT ONLY GOD CAN BRING AND THE MOMENT WHEN SHE FINALLY FINDS IT IS POWERFUL.

IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW -- THE EDGE OF RECALL IS DEFINITELY ON MY MUST-READ-AND-KEEP-FOREVER LIST.

6 comments:

  1. Great review. I love Kristen Heitzmann, even thought I don't read a lot of romance. Tessa's the name of my MC in my current WIP. Oh well, different genre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review! As a suspense novel, was it pretty intense? Sounds really good, though! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the review, Kathy. Tessa is a good name, isn't it? I think it's pretty enough to have two main characters floating around the bookstore shelves. :-)

    Amber, if my intense you mean scary -- then no it isn't that kind of 'thriller' suspense. I'm a real wimp and I don't read or watch anything that's 'horror'. There are two suspenseful threads to the plot. One is a mystery they are dealing with currently; the other stems from something tessa can't remember from her past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kav,

    Oh, good! Yeah, I'm a wimp, too, when it comes to scary books and movies. I cannot stand the "horror" genre! Thanks for the heads up about this book! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this one sound really good. Have you ever thought of writing reviews for other sites (or maybe you already do)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Julia,

    I usually tame down my reviews from here and post them on christianbooks.com but that's all I've done. I'm not sure what all is out there as far as reviewing goes.

    ReplyDelete