Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blessings


SAWYER, KIM VOGEL
BLESSINGS

For as long as she can remember, Trina Muller has had a special affinity with animals. When the local vet, Dr. Groening, recognizes Trina’s passion and abilities, he assures her that she can take over his practice when she becomes a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. But that’s a career of which her parents heartily disapprove. Can God be so cruel as to give Trina the gift of healing without also giving her the avenue to use it?Graham Ortmann loves Trina, but when he finds out about her plans to attend college, he’s outraged. How can he marry someone who is determined to step outside the dictates of the Old Order Mennonite fellowship?

When a young man with a D.M.V. in hand approaches Dr. Groening about purchasing his practice, Trina’s dreams seem to be crumbling right in front of her. Is this a sign from God that she isn’t meant to be a vet after all?

SAWYER HAS A GIFT FOR CREATING CHARACTERS THAT MATTER. I WAS INVESTED IN TRINA FROM THE FIRST TIME I MET HER. BRIGHT, VIVACIOUS, FULL OF LIFE AND HAPPINESS. SHE IS LEADING THE PERFECT LIFE FOR AN OLD ORDER MENNONITE YOUNG WOMAN...OR SO IT SEEMS. BUT SAWYER CAREFULLY DIGS BENEATH THE LAYERS OF TRINA'S LIFE UNTIL WE CAN FEEL HER HEARTACHE AND CONFUSION. CAUGHT BETWEEN A GOD-GIVEN TALENT AND THE STRICT DICTATES OF HER GOD-FEARING RELIGION SHE IS AT ODDS WITH EVERYONE SHE LOVES...INCLUDING GRAHAM.

THOUGH THIS BOOK DEALS WITH THE OLD ORDER MENNONITE FAITH, IT WAS EASY FOR ME TO MAKE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN TRINA'S STRUGGLE TO LIVE TRUE TO HERSELF AND HER FAITH.

I FOUND GRAHAM A PARTICULARLY COMPELLING HERO. I ENJOYED THE GROWTH IN HIS CHARACTER, HIS WILLINGNESS TO EXPLORE ALTERNATIVES, TO NOT ONLY PRAY ABOUT PERSONAL PROBLEMS BUT TO LISTEN FOR ANSWERS -- AND RECOGNIZE THEM WHEN THEY COME.

SAWYER THROWS SOME CURVE BALLS INTO THE PLOT TO KEEP HER READERS TURNING PAGES. IN FACT, BY MID-BOOK I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW SHE WAS GOING TO BRING IT TO A SATISFACTORY CONCLUSION. AND ONE MAJOR HAIRPIN TURN TOOK ME COMPLETELY BY SURPRISE!

THIS WAS A VERY ENJOYABLE AND THOUGHT-PROVOKING READ.

3 comments:

  1. Have you read the other books in the series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kav,
    Thanks for stopping by Window To My World! Nice to meet you! You're in for a treat if you've never read Tracie Peterson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michell, I haven't read the other books in the series. I guess I have to backtrack, huh? Honestly, I really need to quit my day job so I can read professionally!!!!!!

    And Kim -- I enjoy stopping by Window To My World -- you introduce me to new authors all the time. I'm heading to the bookstore for a big splurge tomorrow. I better check the review blogs I read one more time and make sure I have a good list to bring with me!

    ReplyDelete