Saturday, December 4, 2010

Code Triage


CALVERT, CANDACE
CODE TRIAGE

Dr. Leigh Stathos likes her ER shifts fast, furious and adrenaline-infused -- "Treat 'em and street 'em" -- with no emotional complications. Life's taught her a soul-rending lesson: nothing lasts forever, including marriage. And the clock is ticking toward the end of hers. Then an unwelcome confrontation with 'the other woman' beings a whole new set of lessons.

San Francisco police officer Nick Stathos never gives up, whether protecting his patrol neighbourhood, holding fast to faith, or trying to save his marriage. Seven days is all he has to reach Leigh's heart. But when a desperate act of violence slams Golden Mercy Hospital into lockdown, it starts a chain of events that will change lives forever.

THIS WAS A HARD READ FOR ME...A MAGNIFICENT ONE, BUT HARD JUST THE SAME. LEIGH'S EMOTIONS WERE SO RAW...NICK'S TOO FOR THAT MATTER AND THEY SEEMED TO BE SO FAR APART IN ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. IT HURT TO READ CODE TRIAGE. MY STOMACH WAS IN KNOTS -- I EVEN FOUND MYSELF GRINDING MY TEETH AT NIGHT AND YES, I WOKE UP IN THE MORNING WORRYING ABOUT THEM. LUCKILY I DIDN'T SUFFER FOR TOO MANY NIGHTS SINCE IT WAS HARD TO PUT THE BOOK DOWN. SOMETIMES I PICKED IT UP WITH A FEELING OF DREAD BUT I COULDN'T STOP READING DESPITE THE EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER RIDE.

CALVERT HAS AN INCREDIBLE GIFT OF WRITING DEEP POINT OF VIEW. I FELT EVERYTHING EACH CHARACTER FELT -- AND SHE DOESN'T LIMIT THAT TALENT TO JUST THE HERO AND HEROINE. EVEN THE 'VILLAINS', THE PEOPLE I WANTED TO HATE WERE MULTIDIMENSIONAL, WITH A HISTORY THAT MADE ME RELUCTANTLY SYMPATHETIC.

THIS IS A BRILLIANTLY CRAFTED BOOK AND I AM BEREFT NOW THAT IT'S OVER. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO NOW THAT I'M ALL CAUGHT UP WITH THE SERIES? ANXIOUSLY WAIT FOR HER NEXT RELEASE. I HOPE IT'S ABOUT RILEY.

2 comments:

  1. Kav,

    This was my favorite of the 3 book series partly because I LOVE it when authors can take me deep into the hearts of the characters. I want my heart to bleed right alongside the characters'. Plus, I love getting a solid male perspective and Calvert achieves all that in Code Triage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh -- that's a good point, Brenda. Calvert did do an excellent job with Nick's perspective, didn't she? That's what made me soften towards him. I couldn't help it! Sigh, I'm in mourning though because I did a bit of research and it looks like we won't see a new Calvert novel until summer 2012!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete