Sunday, December 9, 2018

It's Okay Not to Be Okay

WALSH, SHEILA
IT'S OKAY NOT TO BE OKAY

Not self-help, God help.

We've all experienced that moment when we wish we could start all over again. Failed marriages, lost friends, addictions, lost jobs. This is not the life we imagined. Yesterday can sometimes leave us stuck, sad, shamed, scared and searching. Sheila Walsh encourages readers to face the pain head on and then start again, right from where they are. She shares that when she discovered "I'm not good enough and I'm okay with that," everything started to change.

In It's Okay Not to be Okay, Walsh helps women overcome the same old rut of struggles and pain by changing the way they think about God , themselves, and their everyday lives. She shares practical, doable, daily strategies that will help you move forward one step at a time knowing God will never let you down.

It's never too late to start again...and there is healing and freedom in just taking the first step.

My Review:

We're not supposed   
to have enough.
We're supposed to bring
what we have,
our clearly not enough,
to Jesus and ask Him 
to meet us where we are.
(p 121)

I loved the easy, approachable style of this book! Walsh teaches through story -- both biblical and personal -- and that's the only way I seem to be able to learn from a non-fiction book so this was tailor-made for me! And I so appreciated how she stripped everything down to the basics. We humans tend to make things so much more complicated than they need to be. Add onto that the unrealistic expectations we place on ourselves and then the inner turmoil that comes when we fail...phew it's enough to boggle the mind!

"It's okay not to be okay,
because Jesus has made us 
right with God."
(p 62)

Such a brilliantly simple concept so why is it so hard to remember? I have lived with this book for weeks now and I'm still not ready to let it go. I read and re-read snippets, applied myself to the One Step at a Time encouragements at the end of each chapter and have felt blessed every step of the way. My big takeaway is that there is freedom in knowing there is no end in sight to our ability to begin again...and again...and again...

"When our hearts are free 
to love with abandon, 
knowing that we're not being 
judged for every failure, 
our behavior changes." 
(p 193)

Book provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc.

5 comments:

  1. "IT'S OKAY NOT TO BE OKAY" sounds like an amazing book. I, too, love when a book is bare bones so to speak and sounds like Sheliea Walsh accomplished that. Why hide the essence of the book with a lot of smoke and whistles when just coming out and saying it or explaining it makes it so much easier to read, understand and apply?

    We are so blessed to be able to stand up and say, "I messed up" and still be given the chance to learn from our mistakes and start over without ever having it thrown up to us again. Through God and with his son all can be righted, no wrong too severe to be held against us. All we have to do is ask.

    I will be checking into this book. It sure sounds like one we could all benefit from reading. I know I could.
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely into getting back to the basics when it comes to my faith walk. I love being encouraged in a way that I can apply in my own life and Sheila Walsh does just that. Plus she's Irish. :-)

      Delete
  2. Very long story short,...... I NEED to read this book 📖
    Thanks for sharing this book with us I am going to check it out further right now 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clearly love it. I don’t read many non-fiction books but this one is going on my keeper study shelf.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like this book could be helpful in so many ways. Thank you for sharing, Kav. mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete