Friday, April 3, 2020

Fight Your Fears : Trusting God's Character and Promises When You are Afraid

WETHERELL, KRISTEN
FIGHT YOUR FFEARS : TRUSTING GOD'S CHARACTER AND PROMISES WHEN YOU ARE AFRAID

What are you afraid of?

We all have fears, and many of us struggle with very real anxiety caused by our fears. Fears about the future; fears about health, job, and family; fears about inadequacy and failure; fears about how much fear itself seems to affect our decisions, plans, and growth in this life. In his Word God commands us not to be afraid, but how is this possible?

Kristen Wetherall is in the fight with you, day-by-day making strides in this battle. In Fight Your Fears she carefully explores and unpacks ten of God's great and precious promises, equipping you with truth and practical tools to help you overcome the fears and anxious thoughts that rob you of your joy.

My Review:

So, admittedly I'm not in the "goody -- another non-fiction book to devour!" reader camp but something drew me to this book. Or should I say Someone?

 Ever since I chose my 'one little word' for 2020 -- Courageous -- I've been challenged on so many levels. And then my church small group chose to study Fear and Faith by Trillia Newbell and I figured God was trying to tell me something. So when I was offered a copy of Fight Your Fears I actually rolled my eyes and laughed. Seems like God isn't leaving anything to chance this year...and we're only three months in!

Things I loved about this book:

Eeeep! It has purple font with blue headings! Seriously shallow observation, I know, but it thrilled my artsy side and eased my non-fictional anxiety.

It's also a a beautiful book -- thoughtfully laid out with full page illustrated scriptures. Makes me want to pull them out and frame them but, wait, I don't have to do that (not that I would ever deface a book!) because the author has included mini versions as scripture memory cards.. The instructions say to cut them out so you can memorize these key scriptures. I'll admit I'm experiencing mild angst at the thought of taking scissors to page but I'm pretty sure I will!

I love the amount of scripture references that address each theme -- there are ten aspects of fear -- each one has a key scripture (illustrated) but there are tons more and lots of biblical applications. I read one chapter a day but I'm going to go back over the book and take more time -- maybe focus on one subheading a day as part of my study and devotions in the morning.

Love the no nonsense plain speak. In the When You Fear Not  Being in Control chapter Wetherell says: "We fear what we can't control because we have tried to control it but simply can't because we are not God." (p 60) I might have to live in this chapter for a while because I'm all about being in control. :-)

Love the Learning to Trust section at the end of each chapter which poses some really thought provoking questions and challenges and includes a topical prayer.

I'm delighted to be able to add Fight Your Fears to my modestly growing non-fiction shelf. Definitely a book I'll refer to again and again.

Book provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Marting Communications Inc.

10 comments:

  1. I could use some help in this and then I could pass it on to Friends or Family
    Thank You
    iamabho AT gmail DOT com 😁💗😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one isn't a giveaway, Linda. Just a review though I did see that the ebook is on sale on Amazon for $1.99. Very topical for this moment in time.

      Delete
    2. OK Thank You Sorry I didn't pay attention after I read
      equipping you with truth and practical tools to help you overcome the fears and anxious thoughts that rob you of your joy.
      I will go check it out Thanks Again

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing as this sounds interesting. I’ll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on sale for kindle but I think a 'real live' book would make more of an impact and be an easier resource.

      Delete
  3. "FIGHT YOUR FFEARS : TRUSTING GOD'S CHARACTER AND PROMISES WHEN YOU ARE AFRAID" sounds like a book we can all learn something from. I do seem to fear change and things I can't have at least some control over. I've been proved to over and over that sometimes change is good and that God has the situation completely under control, but it's something I still struggle with. I think the idea of reading a chapter a day gives one time to absorb what we read and take it to heart. I will be checking this book out. And yes, I love purple so the cover yelled at me too. <3
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hear you, Kay. I'm happy to give God the control if does things my way. :-) He rarely seems to like my suggestions though. Bwahahaha! You'll love the inside too -- so rich and inviting and who doesn't want to read purple ink?

      Delete
  4. This book sounds like we could all benefit from it.
    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. In these trying times this is a book I should read now and refer to whenever I have fears!
    pbclark(at)netins(dot)net

    ReplyDelete