Saturday, December 26, 2020

The Powerful Purpose of Introverts

 

GERTH, HOLLEY
THE POWERFUL PURPOSE OF INTROVERTS

Our world needs what introverts have to offer more than ever before

Introverts make up half the population, yet more people still don't truly understand what it means to be one. In this eye-opening book, Holley Gerth shares everything you need to know, from brain science to the psychological, relational, and spiritual aspects of being an introvert. She also reveals exactly what will help you beat your struggles and maximize your strengths so you can live with clarity, courage, and confidence in a world that needs what only you can give.

If you've ever questioned who you are as an introvert, or if you love, lead, or share life with an introvert, you need this empowering, insightful book.

My Review:

First off, I have to say how excited I am to find a book that's all about celebrating my introvert-yness instead of trying to banish it! I gave up on self-help books years ago because I'd become overwhelmed by the pressure to transform from introvert to extrovert -- as if that was the only way I could find true happiness and fulfillment. 

I'd try and fail and try and fail and, with each failure, I lost some of myself until I wasn't only an introvert but bordering on becoming a recluse. Really, what would be so bad about living out my life in the company of my non-judgmental book friends? I'll admit that fiction is still one of my coping strategies. There's nothing like a little bibliotherapy to soothe away the harsh demands of the extrovert masses who all think their way is the only way! :-)

And here comes Holley Gerth with the rather stunning declaration: "I am an introvert, and I will imperfectly and courageously offer my strengths of strategic solitude, meaningful connection, true well-being, hard-won resilience, sharp thinking, insightful perception, and intentional energy as I live with purpose and grow for a lifetime." (p 171) And I'm aglow because she gets it. She gets me! And she wants me to still be me! Which doesn't mean I can't learn and grow, just that I can do that while loving on my introvert self!

She gets a bit text-book clinical in places and I'll admit to skimming those sections because -- hello 99% fiction reader here! But there are also plenty of relatable stories and insightful surveys and pointed questions and tons of suggestions and examples to learn by and reflect on. I'm especially excited about the book club questions at the back of the book. Yes, they are great for a group but I'm going to dive in and work through the questions on my own. 

Book provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Comm. Inc.

6 comments:

  1. I think I need to scope this out! I've always been a "go against the flow" type person and don't really care to be like everyone else. It never feels natural to be more outgoing to me, so I take being among people in the doses I can, then recharge at home or in a book :-) I've read different articles about introverts and most things are spot on for me too. I'm not a total recluse, and do like to be in a bit of company as long as they're people I know. And as long as I have a time afterwards where I can have my alone time.

    I wonder if I can borrow this from my library or from Kindle Unlimited for ebook. Sounds like something I wouldn't mind skimming through for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's worth the read -- she's not out to change us -- just celebrate us! I'm happy being an introvert and I have to say that one of the bonuses (aside from lots of reading time) is that I haven't felt this whole COVID isolation situation as keenly as some of my extrovert friends. Bet your library will get it in -- in the meantime you can check her website - she has a video clip and a preview on there.

      Delete
  2. I'm an introvert, and I've know that a long time and made peace with it. Never even considered trying to be extroverted. So while this book sounds interesting I prefer to spend my reading time on fiction. I did enjoy your review and insights Kav, so much like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book isn't about making introverts into extroverts -- which so many I read years ago seemed to want to do. It's more about celebrating all aspects of your life, leaning into your introvert ness and allowing yourself to just be you.

      I'm totally content with my introvert self now but I do find there are situations that are hard for me to navigate. Like I'm great with small numbers of people, but put me in a room with lots of people I don't know and I freeze/panic. When I started attending a church plant close to me it was awful the first year because they didn't start up small groups right away and encouraged everyone to just hanging out the school foyer and mingle after service to get to know people. Shudder. It was chaos -- no thanks. But once small groups started up and bible studies I was fine.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't read many non-fiction book but when Holley Gerth's name is on the cover I pay attention. :-)

      Delete